Tuesday, 19 July 2016

Isla and the happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins (YA Fiction)

Isla and the Happily Ever After
By Stephanie Perkins
Dutton Books | Penguin
ISBN 978052542563

If I'd known this was book 3 of a series called Anna and the French Kiss it's very likely I wouldn't have read it at all. But I didn't know, and read about it on a blog long forgotten, and it sounded good enough to request from the library, and arrived just in time for the school holidays, when I was much in need of something light and enjoyable to read.
The fact that it's set in a boarding school in Paris was probably all it took for me to think I might like it. I've never been to Paris and love to visit vicariously when I can. Isla is around 16, smart, disciplined, not very popular, and with an interesting best friend who is a boy with a touch of Autism.
Isla has had a long-term crush on Josh who is definitely part of the 'in' crowd and a talented cartoonist. When he starts to pay attention to her Isla can't believe it's happening. Their relationship evolves, falls apart, they grow from the experience, and things work out pretty well.
This is certainly chick-lit for teens, great setting, nice quirky characters - I particularly liked that Josh was a cartoonist and his work plays a big part in what we know about him. {Wouldn't it have been great if there were some visual sections?}
The couple of sex scenes are sweetly unrealistic, with little mention of contraception. ('have you got...?')
Apparently (thank you Goodreads) the three books in the series are related, but about different girls, and it's recommended you read them in order or will experience spoilers. I wasn't planning to read any more but this did pleasantly occupy me for a day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment